Go GREEN. Read from

THE SCREEN.


Hand-Knitted Pullover For My Granddaughter

Hand-Knitted Pullover For My Granddaughter

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Metaphysics of Knitting

To this day I have never met a fellow knitter--male or female, in person or in cyberspace--who shares my insights on knitting and can discuss with me the metaphysics of knitting. Other knitters seem to be more focused on craft rather than on art.

Knitting, to me, represents the ability to recognize patterns in life. In the 90s I taught an elective course titled Parental Wounding and Healing at a university; it was, in essence, a course in recognizing negative patterns in family life and, rather than stopping at that, going further and revising those patterns.

Mastering knitting is mastering the ability to see patterns, follow patterns, break patterns, and create patterns--that is the natural cycle. It is also about knowing how to knit, and knowing how to and be willing to unravel.

To see a ball of yarn transformed into a woven fabric is an earthshaking experience to me.

To view a cotton T-shirt through a powerful magnifying lens and to see that it is made of insect-scale knits and purls.

To mull over God's Creation, and to consider whether materials things--such as trees and stones--and non-material things--such as thoughts and emotions--could not be made of knits and purls as well, and to identify them.

To see the knits of everyday life, to see the purls of everyday life.

To apply the lessons of knitting to a lifetime.

To be willing to unravel.

To create.

No comments:

Post a Comment